Friday, November 11, 2005

A Priviledge to Come

I found myself listening to the same song over and over again last night.

Take me past the outer courts
Into the Holy place
Past the brazen altar
Lord I want to see Your face
Pass me by the crowds of people
The priests who sing Your praise
I hunger and thirst for Your righteousness
But it's only found one place

Take me in to the Holy of Holies
Take me in by the blood of the Lamb
Take me in to the Holy of Holies
Take the coal, touch my lips, here I am

It's not a new song, although it's new to me. It's actually almost 20 years old, but it's the version on Kutless' Strong Tower CD that's caught my attention. The music is great, but it's the lyrics which send me on a walk through the pages of Scripture. The book of Hebrews showing us Jesus, our High Priest. The apostle Paul assuring us that we can boldly approach the throne of God. The incredible sight Isaiah beheld. The Sermon on the Mount. Even the various maps of the layout of the temple in Jerusalem. It all aims toward one particular destination -- the presence of Almighty God.

If there's any one place I don't deserve to be, it is in front of my loving heavenly Father. I deserve to be in the presence of the God of judgment, but the God of grace and mercy? Not a chance.

I've never tried to drop by to visit the President of the United States. Despite that inexperience, I rather doubt I'd be welcomed with open arms. I cannot see ol' W telling the Secret Service, "Hey, show that little chubby preacher in here! I've been waiting to meet him!"

I have been to a few places where I had a special pass to go places where others couldn't. I've worn a special badge which allowed me access to the garage area at Indianapolis Motor Speedway while most others were not allowed past the gate. That little bronze pin told the security staff that I was welcome in a restricted area. If you've ever been backstage at a concert, you know the feeling of importance you tend to get. But that's just a fraction of how we are treated by Almighty God. There is no badge to wear or a pass to string around your neck. We are marked by the blood of the Lamb.

"What a priviledge to carry everything to God in prayer." Indeed. We need not fear being ruined as Isaiah feared. We are not put on hold or told to wait in the other room. We are escourted straight to the Holy of Holies. Into the presence of our Creator. All by humbling our hearts and coming to Him in prayer. There is no greater priviledge.

No comments: