Wednesday, August 24, 2005

And the last shall be... well, last.

I played golf on Monday. That's a major accomplishment for me. Usually it takes an act of Congress to make enough time for me to hit the links, but I managed to block out the morning for a pastor's golf outing. Florida scramble. That means a 4 player team, taking the best shot after all four have hit. My team? None of us had been on the links this year. Three of us had played together twice last year. The fourth had golfed once in the past nine, count 'em, nine years. I was the one with the recent experience, as I had hit a hurried bucket of balls at the driving range Sunday afternoon.

Needless to say, we weren't in contention for first prize much beyond the time we strapped our clubs on to the back of the golf carts. Eight over for nine holes. That ended up a mere fifteen shots behind the winners. On the other hand, we did have our moments. The guy with 18 holes experience in nine years hit the longest putt of the tournament -- just shy of 40 feet. I missed the longest drive by about 10 yards, but I didn't miss a moving golf cart on the 3rd fairway. There weren't many trees we didn't dent either. And one of our foursome actually hit the shortest drive. He actually knocked the tee out from under the ball. The tee flew forward about ten feet. The ball, however, dropped to the ground in exactly the same spot it had been sitting. It was reminiscent of the old pull-the-tablecloth-off-the-table-without-breaking-the-dishes trick. Truly, this was something to behold -- a drive of 0 feet, 0 inches, with the total distance travelled the length of a golf tee.

Yeah, we finished dead last. But we did win the Duffer's Award and took home $20 restaurant gift certificates and free driving range time. And we probably had more fun than anybody else on the course. I wonder if they'll allow us back next year...

Oh, by the way, Christian Carnival #84 is up at WalloWorld. Lots of posts to get a brain functioning again after a long weekend.

7 comments:

joemorgan32035119 said...

I read your blog, and i thought it was rather cool. check out My Blog
Please Click Here to view it

Have a Great Day

bill naka said...

I have a gift fruit site. It pretty much covers gift fruit related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

Mike said...

Golf is a great sport and I love it. The one thing I always had problems with was losing my golf balls. I came here to find information about ball ball bulk golf golf sale. I found what I was looking for and would like to say thank you. You can check out my favourite site about ball ball bulk golf golf sale right here if you like. Thanks again for the information.

Couch Potato said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

golfing-girls said...

You any good at golf? come and play with me tomorrow! get a tee time here tee times for golf and i'll see you on the first hold ;-)

mandy

wpb-613AF9 said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

brian said...

Nice Blog for 2006 volkswagen jetta