Monday, August 29, 2005

Help From His Friends

Found this story (a tip of the ol' ball cap to In the Agora) that comes from my wife's old stomping grounds. It seems that an Amish woman, Mrs. Esh, spotted a coyote who had been after the family's herd of 140 sheep. She called her husband, Amos to get his rifle. He shot the coyote, but by the time he got his shots off, the animal had crossed a fence onto a neighbor's land. The neighbor called the police to charge the Amish farmer with tresspassing.

After the judge found Amos guilty, friends and neighbors came forward and paid the $181 fine levelled against the man.

After reading the story, I got the mental image of George Bailey at the end of It's a Wonderful Life wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. It also reminds me of how Christians are to meet the needs of those around us and how many times I've failed to even notice my neighbor's needs.

Merry Christmas, Amos.

No comments: